Tuesday 27 September 2011

Park Life

I guess that it was inevitable that one day I'd name-check Parklife, Blur's seminal album of the Britpop era, since it's an idea that appeals to me greatly. In so many ways the London parks are both a microcosm and a reflection of urban life in general; there's not much of the human condition that you won't witness if you hang around parks long enough!

Anyway with the threat of this Indian Summer hanging in the air, and a 10K on the cards at the weekend, I felt keen today to enjoy the moment in Hyde Park. So I headed over there feeling reasonably fresh (which makes sense as I haven't been able to run since last Thursday) and capable. Just like last week I wanted to pull my shoes off and see how far I could go before I either ran out of road or it all became a bit too painful. Starting next to the domineering statue of Achilles (hopefully not an omen?) I headed down the road but soon veered off onto the grass when my poor little toes began to suffer.

He's a big fella ain't he?
This was just fine though as it directed me onto the wide open space at the centre of the park where I got to enjoy the long grass under my feet; sheer pleasure. I was enjoying myself so much I decided to give the horse track a go and this was even better. With heavy rain last night there were lots of puddles and soft, squidgy sand sections for me to splash through; far more relaxing than any therapy I would warrant! Only when my left calf gave a little cry for help did I stop and reluctantly put my shoes back on. What lumps of clay they are compared to the freedom of going barefoot.

On the return leg the sun was out in force and the sky cleared; lovely conditions indeed although I was a bit thirsty by the end (and this at the end of September). Still it did allow for a pretty photo opportunity:

It could only be London
Distance: 7.3 miles
Time: 58m 59s

No comments:

Post a Comment