Monday 3 January 2011

Regents Park 10K - January

One of my very favourite races, or set of races, is the 10K that Mornington Chasers Running Club put on in Regents Park throughout the winter. I've no idea how long they've been putting this show on but on the first Sunday of every month several hundred of us dutifully line up in the park come rain or shine. When I first took part the races were joyfully amateurish and a real delight and now, well, they're all of that but just a bit more slick: Regents Park Winter Series

What with the chip timing and mounds of bananas at the finish (along with all of the water you can drink) I hope to be doing this race for a long time yet:
Okay I didn't make this one but from now on....
I can't say that I was particularly looking forward to racing this morning what with a sore foot, the dregs of a month-long cold and various other ailments. Dropping out wasn't an option though as my good friend and best man Dan was here for the occasion; a decent runner in his own right and a budding triathlete. So no pressure then!

As usual I warmed up with a lap of the course and showed Dan where the "hills" were (this may be an urban run in a park but it still has surprises) before seeding myself a few rows back from the front. Then we were off and quite a number of disgustingly healthy runners sprinted past as I settled in for the chance to find a nice pace group. So it was a bit annoying then when one formed about 20m in front of me and I had to spend the whole of the first lap willing myself towards it! On the other hand once I managed to get there sheer momentum carried me past and the second lap was all about breaking free and trying to consolidate what seemed like a top-20 place.

In fact I felt so good that I sprinted away at the beginning of the third lap to seal the deal and, oops, big mistake! Blowing-up on a downhill is never a good sign and right then I knew that things were going to get sticky. Sure enough the big Swede (well he looked like one to me) that I'd dropped a half-lap previously came puffing past and I put the kitchen sink into staying with him. On the hill to the fountain, past the Honest Sausage, I can truly say that walking on hot coals would have been more fun; my legs screamed for mercy, my lungs screamed for air and at the top I was broken man. All I could do was hang on for the finish and that arrived in an all-too-long 39:08 and this not even top-20!

As for Dan well he strolled over as I bent over, coughing my lungs up, having nailed 2nd place with a fantastic time of 36:29. Respect to Dan and all of the runners: Results

Distance: 10.8 miles
Time: 1h 16m 55s

No comments:

Post a Comment