Tuesday 24 May 2011

An achy, breaky kind of run

The funny thing about running in to work this morning was that my legs weren't sore or tired from my efforts on Sunday; why should they be given that I only had to run 10K! And yet my right knee felt decidedly sore due to one of the muscles in my quadriceps being tight and pulling my joint out of alignment. Such a simple thing but even so really quite limiting. Anyway I had to run in because we were out last night at the London Comedy Night, which was a lot of fun, and I didn't feel like cycling home in the gloom.

Hence I started out quite gingerly this morning and took it very easy warming-up, crossing Highgate Wood and heading over to the Heath. There was definitely no messing about with diversions and hills on the menu this morning I can tell you. That said it was a lovely start and I like how some paths onto the Heath make it seem like you've found a secret tunnel that's all your own:

Mine - all mine!
On the other side, concealed from view, it's all open fields and heathland; quiet, pretty to look at and delightfully fragrant at this time of year. To be honest it's always a bit of a shock to emerge in Kentish Town on the other side and more often than not I'd rather just do another lap of the Heath! Today this feeling was especially strong as my pace was well down on my usual standard and while I wasn't limping I had to hope that I wasn't making things worse! Fingers crossed but I seem to have got away with it but for sure running when you're injured is no fun at all.

Distance: 7.8 miles
Time: 1h 04m 21s

No comments:

Post a Comment