Saturday 17 September 2011

Gone but not forgotten

Today for the first time in over two and a half months (yes, really, a whole 12 weeks!) I made it to the Running School on a Saturday. Crumbs. This is the longest period ever since I started that I've gone without seeing Ira and the guys and yet it feels like no time at all; pretty obviously this has been one busy summer even by Cannon family standards. Nevertheless after flying back from Lenore's aunt's funeral last night this was my first opportunity to rejoin the gang and I took it.

The only problem was that I knew, in my heart of hearts, that I was going to struggle a bit today where once I'd been the young buck forcing the pace. With no exercise since Tuesday and no running since last Sunday I've been feeling a tad stiff and lethargic; the blood is not flowing as enthusiastically as it once was. Anyway a good few of us met up and it was nice to receive a warm reception; there's nothing like being missed to make you glad that you made the effort to return!

That said today turned into a bit of a long one as Ira piloted us towards Finsbury Park via the always pleasing Parkland Walk - particularly now that they've sorted out the drainage. It's no longer a mud-bath and that explains why there were so many runners and cyclists out and about; that and the miserable weather forecast for this afternoon! As expected I had no choice but to hang at the back of the pack, although that is no bad thing sometimes, and my slow-motion running only worsened when we turned round and headed up and up back to the finish.

The damage is obvious!
Luckily there were no photographers in the verge today and I had plenty of company in my personal discomfort; also it's not like I've never had to come back from injury before and so I do know that my condition will improve. It's just that there's not a lot of joy to be had in this intervening period apart from the pleasure of being able to run at all. That's certainly something and none of us should forget it!

Distance: 9.0 miles
Time: 1h 17m 55s

No comments:

Post a Comment