Wednesday 7 September 2011

Discretion is the better part of valour

Isn't it amazing that over 400 years ago Shakespeare was writing lines such as this: 'The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life.' Now I'm no Falstaff or, at least, not yet so long as I keep off of the capons but I know exactly what he means. Sometimes you set out to do one thing and then events set you on a different course - unless you're too hard-headed to realise.

Take today for example; I was all set to slot a run into the lunchtime session and entertained plans to travel a little further than I managed last week. All being well I'd make it up to Hyde Park and a loop on the horse track for good measure. However it quickly became apparent that my legs hadn't quite recovered from the weekend - most specifically in the groinal area and that's never a good place to feel sore - and they didn't start to feel better even when warmed up.

So I resigned myself to chugging once again around Green Park; just a couple of laps. Now there are worse places to be on a late summer's day (down in the sewer or even on the end of a skewer!) but it wasn't what I'd planned and so lacked a certain excitement I think. Nevertheless after a while and a bit of stretching I began to feel slightly more normal and glad that I'd made the effort - although not so happy that I was going to do some barefoot running. Somehow I get the feeling that continually rubbing the freshly-formed skin off the hole in my toe isn't a winning strategy; so I'm going to give it a chance to heal. Discretion and all that....

Distance: 5.7 miles
Time: 42m 49s

No comments:

Post a Comment