Tuesday 28 June 2011

A lot changes in six weeks

I can't believe it either - I haven't run in the Royal Parks at lunchtime in a month and a half, according to my records, but it seems hard to believe. Just the other day it was Spring and the blossom was out but now the earth is parched and every breath has the tang of diesel - and I didn't even notice. Either way I was glad to get out today what with the potential for thunderstorms and Regents Park to enjoy this weekend. To a degree I also wanted to test my general fitness since, on the whole, I've been feeling stronger (and less injured) as the month has progressed but this could merely be down to taking less exercise!

So I set off in the general direction of Hyde Park just as the sun retreated behind a large cloud and some big, fat raindrops decided to make an appearance. At first I couldn't help calculating the chance of getting hit by lightening but when the thunder signalled its safe separation from me I began to appreciate the cooling effect of the weather; definitely welcome. Up and around the park I went, past the site of Hyde Park Calling where Adam Ant apparently rocked, taking in the horse track and gradually accelerating as I went. Often the first half of these sessions is slower than 7 minute/mile pace but when I spotted some guys in front heading down South Carriage Drive I couldn't help myself!

The nice part is that while I was pushing hard on the sand, at almost 6:30 minute/miles, I felt pretty solid and that I wasn't likely to cause a recurrence of any of my recent injuries. So that's a bit of a confidence boost given how up and down the past six months have been. Even better the rain stopped and I knocked this run on the head in just 55 minutes; all good news.

Distance: 7.4 miles
Time: 55m 22s

No comments:

Post a Comment